Saturday 14 July 2012

1.618 The Golden Ratio


This Nautilus shell represents the hidden code (or secret code - great book btw) that nature uses in her design. The golden rectangle has a relationship such that the smaller is to the larger as the larger is to the combined whole, or more simply divide a line into a and b such that a+b is to a as a is to b.

I could go on and on, I have gathered a huge amount of information about this over the years.
My dissertation 'An examination of the Essence of Expression in Tensile Architecture' could be summarised as my search to understand the laws that govern the beauty that we see in form, such that we need to understand what is beauty to our eye and what laws am I going on about. One law is this. The proportions of the human form, our heart beat, the number of florets on a sunflower and its proportions, the division of the insect, the nautilus shell and then all the architecture we humans have designed, from Baghdad city gate to the Parthenon...

umm I appear to have started wittering on...
It looks pretty on a shelf as well - I like to imagine the blade slowly cutting this in half. I have had it for years but never got round to making it the display box it deserves, a 1 hour make that would have stopped a piece of it braking off...we put off and off the simple things...

No comments:

Post a Comment