Thursday 3 January 2013

Spalted Box Mitre Plane Completed


 
Splated Box and African Blackwood.
6" x 2" x 1.25" with a 1.5" old Herring Brothers laminated steel blade.
(This needed a lot of linishing to get to work with the wedge)
 
Please note this snecked blade is NOT complete - little bit chunky for me.


 
Much nicer name stamp than their later one!

 
Time to work on the mouth and sole now.
Need a little tweaking to get that parallel.
Then I will publish the 'wood shaving shot' we all expect.
 
7 hours to get here so I am very pleased.
The last one took 16 hours and when chatting about times with David Barron
I said wanted to get them down to 10 hours and he thought that would be very good.
If there is anyone I know who knows about planes it is David,
so although just an amateur pottering around in my workshop,
I feel happier and more confident now, speeding up a little bit..
this also includes over half an hour correcting mistakes!!!
 
This is however smaller than the 8" x 2" x 1.5" first Mitre plane I made.
So I have another on the way, time is only relevant because I want to start
thinking about selling sometime. Building up some stock, I have my eyes
on hiring a table at a show, seeing if anyone is interested!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment